Saturday, September 12, 2026

Sep 14, 2026: Richard R. Skemp

Richard R. Skemp’s Relational Understanding and Instrumental Understanding argument for relational understanding over instrumental understanding is extremely compelling, and is a focus I intend to implement in my own classroom. There is a common misconception that exceptional grades are equivalent to understanding, and that memorization is identical to learning (Skemp 4). For as long as I have worked within a classroom, this has been a recurring issue I longed to resolve. However, as instrumental understanding is heavily ingrained into BC schools’ curriculums, it is nearly impossible to pivot towards a relational approach (Skemp 11). To combat this, as a future Mathematics teacher, I plan to create pre-lesson packages for my students, which will include logical explanations to example questions. The packages will serve as a soft introduction to course material, which could spark sincere curiosity. Additionally, should my students have further questions, they may bring them to the lesson as well, thereby leading to relational understanding.

As excelling in grades is seen as the overarching standard, many students find instrumental understanding easier for their learning, and feel compelled towards it for both an easy and reliable strategy (Skemp 8). Though I do not agree that the ends justify the means, I would not want to go against my students’ ways of learning. Everyone learns at a different pace and by different means, and my goal would be to find a middle ground to support them. To lead them towards relational understanding, I would ask my students to participate in answering classroom example questions. When trying to explain concepts, one finds oneself having to organize their thoughts in such a way that becomes most comprehensive to others. In doing so, this organically leads to relational understanding. In essence, my goal is to make my students confident in their learning, and by implementing these strategies, relational understanding becomes the catalyst that enriches their education.

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting post, and a great idea for getting beyond sheer memorization (without meaning)! I would encourage you to see how the instrumental and relational can sometimes be braided together as well. I often think about the importance of memorizing poetry that really speaks to you, for example— where the understanding can develop over time as well.

    ReplyDelete

Sep. 23, 2026: Battleground Schools

Battleground Schools was extremely thought-provoking as I stopped to consider my positionality for Mathematics. In terms of learning, I wou...